August 4, 2010

THINGS I LIKE: The Mighty Eyjafjallajökull

Iceland has been the object of my affection for many years. The natural beauty there is wild, vivid and unparalleled. Here is a beautiful time-lapse film of (the icelandic volcano with an ice-cap hat) Eyjafjallajökull by filmmaker Sean Stiegemeier. This is the infamous volcano that was getting so much bad press due to the wild amounts of ash whirling around the planet and lots of stranded travelers. But if you take a moment to appreciate it for what it is, a mountain with smoke and lava pouring out of it while our planet's plates shift, it's pretty incredible.

I saw this film a couple months ago but I think about it all the time so figured I ought to share it. The soundtrack is a beautiful and perfectly apt song by the Icelandic singer Jonsi (of Sigur Ros). It feels like that song was meant to score a volcano. See for yourself.



Iceland, Eyjafjallajökull - May 1st and 2nd, 2010 from Sean Stiegemeier on Vimeo.
p.s. I definitely recommend you watch this in full-screen. Just click on the 4 arrow icon at the bottom right of the video.



No comments: